A spa or a hot bath is not just an activity, it is an experience. In most cases, getting a hot tub is just the start of a long, difficult and continuous learning process on how to maintain the hot tub so that it keeps providing you with an excellent and worthwhile experience. For starters, there is hardware of the tub, once you get through that phase; it is the water management by using hot tub chemicals. Let us be straight, it is not easy and mastering the whole process takes time, but once basic know how is achieved, every bath becomes memorable and enjoyable.
To maintain a clean pool with the perfect balance, you need to have knowledge about different spa chemicals and processes that are very important. These chemicals perform the following jobs to mention a few
Hot tub chemical Benefits:
- Maintain the cleanliness in pool water keeping it algae, fungus and odor free.
- Creating a PH level that is optimum for both the hardware of the pool and your skin.
- Removing and eliminating human dead skin, bath salts, foams and different sort of oils.
- Sanitizing and keeping the harmful bacteria away.
- Increasing life of the hardware of the bath tub and ensuring that filters can last as long as possible.
- Eliminate health hazards and constant changing of water.
Different chemicals for different people!!!
The problem as they say is always about choice. There are different very good products available in the market; most of them work as advertised but unless we have not used them, we cannot say if they will work for us. Different people also have different preferences, for some who get used to swimming at an early age in swimming pools, the smell of chlorine becomes natural, and for others it always remains a problem. Do not get me wrong, over exposure to chlorinated water is not healthy, it is just that some people do not feel bad about chlorine smell. There is no single best way to find the perfect product for you, it is a time taking process and ultimately happens over time. The bottom line though is, that maintaining a hot tub is not a cheap activity. It is a constant expense and something that you should really know about.
Which chemical is best for your hot tub or spa?
There are lots of inflatable hot tub chemicals available in the market, the range is actually diverse and it is difficult to find the product that you need. Each product provides a unique benefit that is little different from its competitors or other products of the same company. Some people have dedicated a bigger budget, for them getting the most expensive things available in the market is the best strategy, however, not everything that is expensive is always going to work. Balancing chemicals is a fine art, a little bit of this, a little bit of that and viola.
You get to the perfect combination without spending too much; the water is clean and crystal clear and has the aroma of heaven. Over here, we are going to review a few top rated products and see how they can and cannot create a difference to your hot tub. These chemicals are widely used and mostly safe; however, please check with your physician for your allergies. As soon as you see any rashes, irritation or discomfort, get your physician to have a look at you.
10 popular spa chemicals
- EPA approved formula containing no chlorine/Bromine.
- No or less skin irritation
- Life upto 4 months
- Eco friendly
- Great smell and natural aroma
- Completely natural treatment
- Safe for all hot tub components
- • Not a substitute of regular maintenance
• Center hole needs to be longer than 8 inches at least
• Needs an ozone generator to work perfectly
This is a tremendous product, offering complete comfort at a very competitive price. Users will get used to it very soon and it would be difficult to go back to other products once you get used to it.
- Powerful purifier
- Specific formula neutralizes and removes dirt, soap, oily films and suspended particles
- Product life up to 4 months
- Puts pressure on the filters which may need to be replaced faster.
- Not the cheapest product available
A highly useful product; it is fast action and helps make the water crystal clear. If you want to enhance the life of the filter, use a skimmer to remove dust and other particles from water surface. Use it and watch the amazing results, you will surely be surprise about its effectiveness.
- Non-chlorine shock oxidizer
- Quick action
- Once a week product to clean everything
- Less active ingredients per gram than some competitors
- The small bottle cap makes using a spoon to get the powder out a bit difficult
- Higher cost than some alternatives
This fast-dissolving granular product really gets rid of residual substances from the water. In order to get the best use out of it, take a bucket, put the desired amount suitable for your tub and dissolve it properly before adding in the main tub. I personally prefer using liquids but this works just as well and is a great product to use.
- Good effective bromine based sanitizers
- Use advanced formulas for effective working and low dust formulation
- Value for money bargain
- The packaging by the manufacturer requires improvement as tablets often break
Bromine tablets are a good way to sanitize your pool or hot tub. The tablets which are round dissolve slowly providing constant and effective sanitization of the pool. You can use them safely with other chemicals as well with risk of no chemical reaction. A good cheap way to stay sanitized.
- Compatible with chlorine, bromine, ozone and sanitizers
- Raises water hardness level while preventing foaming and equipment corrosion. Increases life of filters
- Need a lot of quantity in some cases
- The product is in liquid form where some people prefer solids
This is a very useful product for increasing the life of your hot tub. The aim is to increase water hardness making preventing excessive foaming and reduce equipment corrosion. The liquid formula makes it easier to dissolve however this makes it to be used more. All in all a must have product to increase the life of your hot tub.
- Prevents scum line formation
- Reduces filter clogging
- Removes surface contaminants
- Can be rinsed and re-used
- Not a replacement of chemicals but an add-on
- Can be a bit expensive
This is a very ingenious solution to a very common problem. Oil has a tendency to rise to the top, this cute little duck can keep floating on the surface and absorb oil and foam. The best part is that you can re-use the duck once it has done its job by rinsing and drying it away from the pool. If you use It properly, it can last for a very long time making it a very ideal solution.
- Uses pre-filled mineral cartridges and bromine cartridges that snap into a reusable floating holder, good for all tubs
- Transforms your spa into the perfect environment for soothing relaxation.
- High on convenience and ease of use once you know how to set the balance
- Re-fill cartridges are expensive and it is cheaper to buy a new system than re-fill
- Some people may find it expensive
This solution offers the users with extreme ease of use, no more calculations, no more tinkering with chemicals, just putting in one product and enjoying peace of mind. Convenience though, always comes at a higher cost so be mentally prepared for that.
- Stops and eliminates foaming
- Compatible with chlorine, bromine, ozone and biguanide sanitizers
- No expiration date mentioned on the bottle
- Leaves residue which needs to be skimmed off
This product is a perfect non-oily solution for getting rid of extra foam that causes serious problems in the bath. Hopefully with it, the foam will be gone very quickly
- Prevents stains caused by iron and other metals
- Compatible with almost all products
- Complete bottle used at one time so it is very expensive
- A bigger bottle and more active ingredients would be better
The best way to use the product is while you emptying the pool. Saves important resources and helps you keep a perfect balance. Complete bottle is used every time so it may be a bit expensive solution; however the life increase is actually worth it.
- Used to adjust water pH and alkalinity downward
- Very fast-dissolving granular product
- Not the cheapest in the market
Being a granular product, you may need to dissolve it before adding to the main tub. The pH needs to remain within a range of 7.2 – 7.8 for best results. Comprehensive instructions and a good product to round up the top 10 selection
The hot tub chemicals mentioned above are all great products in one way or the other. Even if they feel expensive to use, the ideal chemicals will help increase the life of your bath tub and ultimately provide great value for money. There is nothing that can be compared with a perfect relaxing bath and that is one of the reason you got the hot tub in the first place.
We really hope that after reading this, your searching process would be much easier. We thank you for your time and hope that this article proves helpful to you. Have a great day and thanks for reading.